Peering Policies and Route Servers

Matt Zimmerman mdz at netrail.net
Tue Apr 30 19:36:31 UTC 1996

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Randy Bush wrote:

> peerage, like sex these years, has a great potential for the transmission
> of disease.  so one is very careful about with whom one peers.  the route
> servers are more like a bath house, you're excahnging bodily fluids with
> every and any body.

Interesting analogy...but not quite accurate.  RS-based peering would be
more like...a routing orgy among a group of peers, where a central entity
organizes the bodily routing fluids and directs them, according to
prearranged policy, to the appropriate indirect peers.  It breaks down
there...:-)

Your statement implies that, when peering via an RA route server, one is
required to accept (and advertise) any and all routes.  This is wholly
untrue.  The RS's use policy information from the RADB to do routing
calculations, resulting in a centralized routing model rather than a
distributed one.  Yes, it makes policy decisions for you...but based on
your own policy indications.

> some exchanges have multi-lats.  how many are actually used by the bigger
> players and how many are ignored in favor of multiple bi-lats?

I don't know of very many exchanges that have MLPA's, but at the Ameritech
(Chicago) NAP...

-----