Inter-exchange media types

ipasha at sprintlink.net ipasha at sprintlink.net
Tue Apr 30 16:09:26 UTC 1996

Dtatacom tests were performed in the 10/100 setup. Obviously
the Fast ethernet switches had an advantage over the FDDI
switches since Fast ethernet and conventional ethernet work
with the same frame types. FDDI switches on the other hand
has to convert ethernet frames to FDDI frames and vice versa.
Todays NAPs in most cases are not 10/100 set up. It is more like
DS3/100/100 setup where routers are feeding traffic into the Gigaswitch
using FDDI and since HSSI and FDDI is using same MTU size, no
fragmentation is involved.

       --Ismat