Peering Policies and Route Servers

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Apr 30 03:59:35 UTC 1996

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, M. Christopher Davies wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Ali Marashi wrote:
> > > (2) Could anyone share opinions/facts regarding why organizations may or
> > > may not exchange routes via the Route Servers rather than direct peering
> > > relationships at the NAPs?
> >
> > Well, because say that Sprint and MCI would peer, a provider would only
> > just stay at one NAP. That provider could then sell large dedicated
> > connections and in a way do it on Sprint's and MCI's network. I think they
> > they are trying to keep a lot of startups like me from growing and being a
> > large competitor.
>
> I think you've completely missed the boat on 1) what it means to peer,
> and 2) why one would peer with you.
>
> The idea (and I may be wrong here) that the big 6 may or may not choose
> to peer with you is because they have no contract to provide TRANSIT for
> your packets, but will gladly accept your packets for MCI or Sprint
> connected sites.  The idea behind peering is that it is a shared dropoff
> point, but not a free transit to wherever on the net you want to go.

No I think you are vary wrong, I know what it is to peer, and I am not
askign for TRANSIT. Sprint and MCi will nto PEER unless you are at 3 NAPS.

> If you peer, it is expected that you will not utilize MCI's (as an
> example) network to talk to a non-MCI connected site on the other side of

No kiding.

> That, I believe, is the reason that people don't peer as readily as you
> want them to.

You have no idea.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest