Peering Policies and Route Servers

Ali Marashi amarashi at interglobe.com
Mon Apr 29 19:09:01 UTC 1996

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 bmanning at isi.edu wrote:

> > (2) Could anyone share opinions/facts regarding why organizations may or
> > may not exchange routes via the Route Servers rather than direct peering
> > relationships at the NAPs?
>
> 	I know of no case where an organization "may not" exchange routes
> 	with the Route Servers.

I did not mean to imply that an organization was "not allowed" to exchange
routes with the Route Servers.  I was trying to learn why an organization
"may choose" or "may not choose" to exchange routes with the Route Servers
rather than use direct peering relationships with other organizations.

In other words, what is the value for an organization to utilize the Route
Servers?  And if there is value, why is everyone not doing it?

Ali....

| Ali Marashi                            |
| interGlobe Networks, Inc.              |
| phone: 206.623.2222  fax: 206.623.0885 |
| http://www.interglobe.com              |