Inter-exchange media types

Hank Nussbacher hank at ibm.net.il
Sun Apr 28 07:49:52 UTC 1996

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:34:25 -0400  Curtis Villamizar wrote:

>For many products, there is a big difference between how many
>interfaces physically fit in the card cage and how many actually work
>under a fairly heavy load.  Have you tested a 12 port switched 100
>Mb/s ethernet under load?  The DEC gigaswitch has been tested under
>load and has held up so far under load.  The Cisco 5000 may bridge
>better than it routes since there is no route change to deal with, but
>I'd be a bit worried about deploying without stress testing.
>
>The problem for the major exchanges may soon be what to do when the
>gigaswitch runs out of bandwidth.
>
>Curtis

The Feb 1996 issue of Data Communications ran a benchmark on these switches
along with a few others.  I will just summerize the Digital and Cisco info
that they state:

Cisco Catalyst 5000 - Full duplex Ethernet, half duplex FDDI, full duplex fast
Ethernet; Max: 96 Ethernet, 4 FDDI, 50 Fast Ethernet; Price: $22K for chassis, 24
Ethernet ports, 2 FDDI

Digital Gigaswitch - Ethernet, Full Duplex FDDI; Max: 12 Ethernet, 8 FDDI; Price:
$21K for chassis, 24 Ethernet ports, 2 FDDI

Benchmarks:

a) % of frames delivered without loss (100% load on 40 ports):
   Burst size (in 64 byte frames)
   24: Cisco 99%   DEC 76%
   62: Cisco 100%  DEC 75%
   124: Cisco 100% DEC 65%
   372: Cisco 100% DEC 51%
   744 Cisco 100%  DEC 49%

b) % of frames delivered without loss (64 byte frames, 24 frame bursts on 40 ports):
   70%: Cisco: 100%  DEC: 81%
   80%  Cisco   99%  DEC  79%
   90%  Cisco   99%  DEC  85%
   100% Cisco   99%  DEC  75%
   150% Cisco   99%  DEC  22%

c) Per port thruput: 64 byte frame per second (24 frame bursts on 40 ports)
   Cisco: 4891
   DEC:   4391

d) Latency (microseconds) - 64 byte unidirectional traffic across 100Mb backbone
   Cisco:  79
   DEC    179

Bottom line: The Gigaswitch performed the  almost the worst (Fibronics took that
honor) and the Cisco performed the best.

Perhaps it is time to revisit the Gigaswitch technology?

Hank Nussbacher                  Manager, Internet Technology Programs
Telephone: +972 3 6978852        Vnet:     HANK at TELVM1
Fax:       +972 3 6978115        Internet: hank at ibm.net.il
IBM Israel
2, Weizmann St.
Tel Aviv 61336                         ======   =======    ===     ===
Dialup registration:   177-022-3993      ==      ==   ==    ==== ====
Company services:        03-6978663      ==      ======     == === ==
Internet sales fax:      03-6978115      ==      ==  ===    ==  =  ==
Enquiries:          info at ibm.net.il    ======   ========   ===     ===
Technical support:   noc at ibm.net.il    ======   =======    ===     ===