Routes and routing tables

Robert Bowman rob at elite.exodus.net
Sun Apr 28 07:51:41 UTC 1996

There is a HUGE problem with regards to this.  When I look at "certain"
providers and the way they are advertising, this is very common:

206.79.0.0/16
206.79.108.0/24
206.79.224.0/22

etc etc.

They are advertising their 16 right, and then are putting more specific
routes in afterwards.  Doesn't make much sense, however I can see certain
situations why it is happening..

In certain circumstances, the people will advertise every class C in a /16 as
well as advertising the /16.  It's turned into something worse than pre-CIDR.

The above addresses are Exodus Communications.  I don't want to turn this
into a pointing of fingers thread.

Robert Bowman
Sr. Hole Plugger
Exodus Communications Inc.