Inter-exchange media types

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu Apr 25 18:58:21 UTC 1996

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> As I've said before, I believe that this is going to push us in the direction
> of more and more NAPs so that everyone can do the hot potato routing thing as
> early and as often as possible.  Many medium pipes will add up to the nec'y
> aggregate bit rate, with some great cost in complexity compared to a few fat
> pipes.

Bingo!
And this is precisely what is happening now as regional exchanges are
being set up all over the place in Utah, Pennsylvania, Texas, the
Phillipines and so on. Not to mention the number of large ISP's that are
moving towards things like national frame-relay networks of their own.

If you want to understand how this is all going to play out, study the
shape of soap bubbles in a foam, the way to connect power systems in 4
cities arranged at the corners of a square using the shortest wires and
the distribution of market towns in any of the ancient civilizations.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com