NAVYJOBS.COM

David Carmean dlc at silcom.com
Tue Apr 23 16:03:06 UTC 1996

In a previous message, Paul A Vixie wrote:

	[snip]

> What ISP's can do is stop registering trash domains.  Tell your users to put
> their WWW pages in a domain park of some kind, rather than allocating a TLD
> for every one-person "company" whose scope of operations is a local city or
> neighborhood.

How do you educate the mom-and-pop ISPs and businesses?  If I do this
now, they just walk two blocks away to the other guys, who will register
them.  Changing the paradigm probably won't be possible until either
a technical issue of the impact of prefix-filtering and address allocation
restrictions forces the issue, or the namespace looks like alphabet soup
like you mention, and becomes almost a non-differentiated mass.

The Madison Avenue gang won't like a heirarchical product branding scheme,
which is probably how they look at domain names now.

> <URL:ftp://ftp.vix.com/pri/vixie/dns-badnames.psf.gz> is my position in full.

I'd like to, but you've disappeared from all the NAPs!  Been almost an
hour now:

beach% traceroute f.root-servers.net
traceroute to f.root-servers.net (192.5.5.241), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  sbc-mci-gw.silcom.com (199.201.128.254)  3.9 ms  5.464 ms  3.457 ms
 2  border2-serial4-3.Bloomington.mci.net (204.70.49.25)  10.829 ms  9.44 ms  14
.463 ms
 3  border2-serial4-3.Bloomington.mci.net (204.70.49.25)  10.071 ms !H
 *  9.767 ms !H

--
David Carmean		WB6YZM		DC574		<dlc at silcom.com>
	System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications