other routing anomalies

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Wed Apr 17 05:32:20 UTC 1996

> I don't know anything about how jvnc.net runs their business, but a few
> weeks ago, they decided to start advertising some of my /19's, along with
> a bunch of other AGIS routes, effectively taking me and a lot of AGIS
> customers off-line for several hours. Maybe they're still having routing
> problems...

Ugh, I replied privately to Gordon; didn't realize he sent it to nanog :)

JVNC said to him in an earlier message that they were currently defaulting
into MCI and the reason that they were sending outgoing data to netaxs through
the CIX was because *any* route that showed up at the CIX would be taken
since they were just defaulting into MCI.

I don't know why they were doing it - perhaps they were hit too hard by MCI
backbone problems (which should??? be resolved shortly w/ OC3).

We almost had to shut off the backup connectivity we get by having
our routes announced @ the CIX because it's a poor route to choose when
MAE-East is functioning fine.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of routes JVNC uses or what kind of routing
they're doing, but I'm hoping they take full routes from MCI again shortly.

Avi