the Internet Backbone

Alan Hannan alan at gi.net
Mon Apr 8 23:11:11 UTC 1996

  David,

  You're right you don't need a default route.  However, imagine
  that you don't have confidence in the routing table entries.
  Imagine a situation like this:

  NAPX---NSP1a-------NSP1b-----NSP1c-----NSP1d-----NSP1e-----+
							   You

  Imagine that you take full routing tables from NSP1e.  There is a
  bit of latency in him getting a route propogated, so conceivably
  with some flapping issues, you might not have it if you wanted it.

  So, what you could do is default to NSP1e.  If you're multihomed,
  as such:

  NAPX---NSP1a-------NSP1b-----NSP1c-----NSP1d-----NSP1e-----+
   |							   You

  Concievably you could have wacky problems at 'you' which could
  cause you to drop packets.  By having a default, you entrusted the
  delivery in those situations to one of your upstreams.

  -alan

  ps.  we multihome to 2 providers, we take full routing tables, and
  we don't have an external default.  I'm not recommending the above
  logic, just expounding on a possible explanation.....

.........  David ``Joel Katz'' Schwartz is rumored to have said:
]