NANOG

Hank Nussbacher hank at ibm.net.il
Sun Apr 7 12:58:23 UTC 1996

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996 21:31:30 +0800  Vadim Antonov wrote:
>Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>>
>>Craig came down very hard on Bob Metcalfe and I was hoping that over
>>the past few days someone would step in and explain that Bob is far
>>from being a clueless journalist.  I believe Craig is just showing
>>how young he is.
>
>On my part, when i was flaming B.M. i was perfectly aware of who he
>is.  However, being an authority is not a guarantee of being right
>or being clueful about that particular subject.

My criticism was not directed to you but rather to Craig.  Your response
to Bob was detailed and contained numbers.  Craig's contained nothing and
did not add to the discussion but rather to the Noise Ratio.

>I happened to learn that hard way.
>
>>Bob Metcalfe along with David Boggs published in
>>ACM (July 1976) an article entitled "Ethernet - Distributed Packet
>>Switching for Local Computer Networks".  This paper was the groundwork
>>for Ethernet - without which we would still be using X.25 and possibly
>>no LANs.
>
>That is an exaggregation.  BTW, Ethernet has little to do with X.25's
>obsolescense.
>
>>Having Bob (as well as a few other heavyweights) on this list,
>>we can only come to a better understanding of the routing, addressing
>>and portability problems of the Internet that we are all hitting.
>
>Hm.
>
>>Craig, Bob has probably forgotten more than you and I will ever know.
>
>I find the attitude of reverence to authorities a bit out of place
>in any scientific or engineering society trying to be something more
>than a country club.

I am not saying to have blind reverence.  Just listen and argue validity -
and if you can knock him down - fine by me as well as everyone else on the
list.  But back up your comments with facts and numbers (as you did) rather
than comments of buzzwords and hog prices as Craig did.

>--vadim

Hank Nussbacher                  Manager, Internet Technology Programs
Telephone: +972 3 6978852        Vnet:     HANK at TELVM1
Fax:       +972 3 6978115        Internet: hank at ibm.net.il
IBM Israel
2, Weizmann St.
Tel Aviv 61336                         ======   =======    ===     ===
Dialup registration:   177-022-3993      ==      ==   ==    ==== ====
Company services:        03-6978663      ==      ======     == === ==
Internet sales fax:      03-6978115      ==      ==  ===    ==  =  ==
Enquiries:          info at ibm.net.il    ======   ========   ===     ===
Technical support:   noc at ibm.net.il    ======   =======    ===     ===