NANOG

Vadim Antonov avg at postman.ncube.com
Sat Apr 6 13:31:30 UTC 1996

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

>Craig came down very hard on Bob Metcalfe and I was hoping that over
>the past few days someone would step in and explain that Bob is far
>from being a clueless journalist.  I believe Craig is just showing
>how young he is.

On my part, when i was flaming B.M. i was perfectly aware of who he
is.  However, being an authority is not a guarantee of being right
or being clueful about that particular subject.

I happened to learn that hard way.

>Bob Metcalfe along with David Boggs published in
>ACM (July 1976) an article entitled "Ethernet - Distributed Packet
>Switching for Local Computer Networks".  This paper was the groundwork
>for Ethernet - without which we would still be using X.25 and possibly
>no LANs.

That is an exaggregation.  BTW, Ethernet has little to do with X.25's
obsolescense.

>Having Bob (as well as a few other heavyweights) on this list,
>we can only come to a better understanding of the routing, addressing
>and portability problems of the Internet that we are all hitting.

Hm.

>Craig, Bob has probably forgotten more than you and I will ever know.

I find the attitude of reverence to authorities a bit out of place
in any scientific or engineering society trying to be something more
than a country club.

--vadim