my personal reality check on dual homing and backbone growth

Roger Fajman RAF at CU.NIH.GOV
Sun Apr 7 02:57:37 UTC 1996

> As 1985 and 1986 progressed, the ARPAnet got more loaded as more sites
> came on, but I don't have any specific statistics.  Cross-country links
> like the one we had through Pittsburgh (CMU, PSN #14) were apparently
> the real hot spot.
>
> BITnet was starting around then, too, mostly 9.6-19.2-56 kb links
> between IBM mainframes.

It's not important to your very interesting history, but I believe that
BITNET started in 1981.  It was already up to more than 1000 nodes when
we joined in 1985 with a 56 kbps link to the University of Maryland.

I remember many of the events you describe, but from the perspective of
someone responsible for our connections.  We got our SURAnet connection
up in early 1988 with a Proteon p4200 and a T1 line.

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 4265
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF at NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   RAF at CU.NIH.GOV