CIDR, Sprint and the Big guys.

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Sat Apr 6 20:04:59 UTC 1996

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Wolfgang Henke wrote:

> As Robert Moskovitz pointed out, even the growth in common used backbones
> speeds is not keeping up:
>
> 1.       56 kbps
> 2.    1.544 Mbps  increase by 24
> 3.   44.736 Mbps  increase by 28
> 4.  155.520 Mbps  increase by merely 3
>
> Just keeping in step with past growth patterns would require a step
> to OC-24c at 1244.15 Mbps now, but there are no routers which come
> even close to those speeds.

Even backbones are not backbones anymore. Sprint, MCI et al. operate
meshes with multiple internal paths. If you have an average of 8 alternate
paths of OC3c, then you get closer to a 24x multiple of DS3. Of course
it's not really that simple, but I don't think that things are as bad
as they look in your table above.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com