the Internet Backbone

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Sat Apr 6 17:35:01 UTC 1996

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

> Michael Dillon and others have put forth some good definitions.  Would any
> of you active contributors be interested in trying an RFC on this?  I'll
> step up to editing it if it would be useful.

I've been fleshing out a longer explanation in my mind last evening so
I'm willing to continue with this.

> HCB>  I'm not sure about the part that a Tier 2 provider never provides
> HCB>  transit.

This is true. The lines of division are somewhat fuzzy. My feeling is
that the Tier 2 provider is not primarily in the business of supplying
transit but may do so incidentally to their primary operations and even
then.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com