Address "portability"

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Fri Apr 5 21:43:59 UTC 1996

>  >
>  > Portable addresses is an illusion, as it does no scale.
>  >
>  > Give me a call when you convinced the phone_company to make my phone number
>  > work in
>  > California.
>  >
>  > --Peter
>  >-- End of excerpt from Peter Lothberg
>

>  The California PUC has approved local phone competition within California,
>  with the requirement the phone number portability (between carriers) be
>  fully implemented as soon as possible. Making your phone number stay the
>  same no matter whether you're a PacBell or MFS or TCI customer is exactly
>  the same problem as making IP addresses portable... just wait until ISPs
>  are regulated, and they get the same mandate.
>
>  -matthew kaufman
>   matthew at scruz.net

Not quite. If I move today from San Francisco to San Jose, I have to renumber
because of area codes. This provides first level hierarchy, which the Internet
doesn't have (actually second, country codes are the first). The phone
companies also have settlements worked out, such that a cutout costs the
group getting the cutout, not the group who has the base or the IXC. Phone
routing are vastly more restrictive than IP routing.

Jerry