CIDR,Sprint and the Big Guys.

Justin W. Newton justin at erols.com
Fri Apr 5 20:02:49 UTC 1996

At 09:58 AM 4/5/96 -0600, you wrote:

>We hear a lot about dual-homed ISPs and ISPs who want to change their
>upstream providers.  It would be very interesting to have some
>quantitative information about the size of these classes.
>
>(Or, are issues related to dual-homed ISPs and changes in upstream
>providers more theoretical than real?)

I have worked for 3 ISP's in the past several years.  Of the three 2 peer at
the MAE (actually the connection for one of them is still sitting in
MaBell's in box).  This is a prohibitively small sample to be useful though.
At most the number of ISP's dualhoming must be <= the number of assigned
ASN#'s.  As for leaving their NSP, I am not sure that many are doing that.
Its hard as hell to do without killling your customers.

Justin Newton			* You have to change just to stay
Internet Architect		*      caught up.
Erol's Internet Services	*