CIDR,Sprint and the Big Guys.

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Apr 5 19:33:57 UTC 1996

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Tim Salo wrote:

> It would appear that there may also be a strong argument that the
> tremendous proliferation of [small] ISPs is a significant contributor
> to the growth of the size of the Internet routing tables.
>
> Perhaps, the [anticipated] consolidation of ISPs will be a significant
> event in the efforts to control routing table size.

There are other analysts (myself among them) who anticipate the number of
North Amercan ISP's to grow by a third this year from around 2,000 to
around 3,000. Yes, there is some consolidation, but this is very little
in relation to the entry of new ISP's into the market. As long as the
Internet is growing exponentially, there will be room for new entrants
and we will not be seeing an absolute decline in the number of ISP's.

Think exponentially, plan accordingly ;-)

In other words, CIDR, PIER, and RFC1918....

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com