Routing table growth

Per Gregers Bilse bilse at EU.net
Thu Apr 4 19:31:31 UTC 1996

On Apr 3, 22:58, Andrew Partan <asp at partan.com> wrote:
> Subject: Routing table growth
> We are starting to get reports from some of our (multihomed)
> customers that full routing tables will no longer fit in 32Meg
> routers.
>
> How many others are seeing this?

Yes ... we will be replacing most 32M routers.  With 34k routes
there's ~10M left in a 32M router, but this can turn into a squeeze
when it's sending lots of updates to many peers.  I've seen up to
several hundred packets queued for each peer.  So, for instance, 400
packets * 1500(?) bytes = 600kbytes per peer.  With few peers, no
problem; with more than a dozen, it's getting close to a no-go.

--
------ ___                        --- Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr
----- /     /  /   __   ___  _/_ ---- EUnet Communications Services B.V.