New Internet Routing Statistics

Dave Siegel dsiegel at rtd.com
Thu Apr 4 08:16:52 UTC 1996

> > > Now if NANOG had a PR flack monitoring the list he would jump up and
> > > propose a press release...
>
> > This list, which used to be useful to operators FOR PURPOSES OF OPERATIONS
> > is teetering on the verge uselessness.  Can we please move the rah rah,
> > explanations to non-operators, ... back to com-priv?  Please?
>
> Start publishing regular press releases, post them at
> http://www.nanog.org and to the nanog-announce mailing list and
> your problems will be solved. The non-operators will leave nanog to you.

I'm afraid I have to throw my vote with Randy on this one.

Press Release is not the verbage we want to use.

If there were to be a www.nanog.org, it should have snapshots of important
messages in the nanog list, like

Thu Apr  4 01:05:15 MST 1996 Sprint feeds routes to RA for statistical
			     reasons.  see URL...
ya da ya da ya da

Maybe a couple of help documents:

- Safety tips for peering at exchanges
 a) how to build a filter list that won't hose everyone else
 b) why you should use dampening
 c) don't forget to passive-interface your interfaces...OSPF neighbors across
	an exchange are bad...

- NO's guide.
 a) how to tune performance on 7000 series routers
 b) how important is the RADB?  The RS?
 c) sample routing policies currently in use and implementation pointers
 d) what can I do to help with the growth of the routing table?

- vendor specific gotchas
 a) Cisco bugs that will bite you in the ass every time
 b) Bay Network trials and tribulations
 c) gated; it looks like I could compile this config file.

- new technologies
 a) caching with harvest/NS/cern; shoud I bother
 b) ATM/packet shredding; what's the word?
 c) muxing?  SONET?  what next?

- Useful URL's

so on and so forth.

Sure, it sounds like a good topic for a book, too....but these are the
operational issues which get discussed (for the most part) on this list,
and a web page should represent that.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel		     Sr. Network Engineer, RTD Systems & Networking
(520)623-9663		     Network Consultant -- Regional/National NSPs