NANOG

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Wed Apr 3 01:37:29 UTC 1996

Bob writes:

> Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, the problem is not that the Internet's chief 100
> engineers, whoever they are, fail to report their problems to me, it's that
> they (you?) fail to report them to anybody, including to each other, which
> is half our problem.

Actually, there has been some work done on this. There was a NSFNET Trouble
Ticket standard developed by the RAC. The report is available as a pdf file
from this URL: ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/misc/troublet.pdf. Unfortunately,
shortly after this work was done, the NSFNET ceased to exist.

> So, you say, increasing Internet diameters (hops) are only of concern to
> whiners like me?  There are no whiners LIKE me.  I am THE whiner.  And hops
> ARE a first class problem, Jerry, or are you clueless about how
> store-and-forward packet switching actually really works?

I'd like to encourage you to discuss this issue specifically. I am writing
an Internet-Draft on end-system management issues in the face of the
explosive growth of the Internet  and this is one of the ones I am
writing about. Your views would be most welcome in developing this document.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.