number of unaggregated class C's in swamp?

Michael Dillon michael at junction.net
Sat Sep 30 06:08:29 UTC 1995

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I agree, but the latter does have the advantage of being easier to "police".
> Getting a whole address block under a limit requires the cooperation of
> everyone in the block, whereas filters (as we have seen) are easy to impose...

But may cause a lot of grief in the legal department. If N routes per
block is a goal, not a hard and fast limit, then a sign that the goal is
met will be when the Internet is using M /8 blocks and there are M * N
routes. This could very well mean that providers are negotiating to allow
N + 400 routes in one block in return for using N - 400 routes in another
block.

I think it is better to specify the goal rather than to specify the means
of attaining that goal so that providers, customers, etc. have some choice.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com