Authority over IANA & IP #s was Re: 206.82.160.0/22

Gordon Cook gcook at tigger.jvnc.net
Fri Sep 22 18:04:31 UTC 1995

Well I am pleased to see this from Hans Werner too -- especiAlly the
lines of historical authority .....

he said:

formally I guess one would claim that the
Internet address space is the personal property of the IANA instrument
of the United States Department of Defense, if that is what you like.
I would prefer to think that the Internet evolved so much over the last
ten years or so into the public realm, that the address and naming
spaces have become public property. Instead of bitching about the
InterNIC, NSF, ARPA, IANA, whoever, you guys should thank them for how
far they got things driven, and whet they fostered and allowed to
transition to the international private sector. [end of Hans Werner quote]

Cook speaking:

Are we hearing then that **ARPA has given up any and all of its authority
over IANA**?  That DOD no longer claims to own IP numbers? Hans Werner,
I'd prefer for you to be precisely correct in your assertion about the
public property nature of IANA, IP numbers etc.  I'd love to thank Arpa
for giving freedom to IANA and DOD for doing the same to IP numbers.  But
I have not seen any evidence that they have indeed done this.  If they
have perhaps the relevant people  at ARPA and DOD would come out and
confirm just exactly what they consider their current authority over IANA
and IP numbers to be?