MAE-East

Brett D. Watson bwatson at mci.net
Mon Oct 23 21:56:30 UTC 1995

  That was precisely the point of my last note.  I *want* to get involved in
finding a reliable way to measure network performance and I *want* to be
proactive at it.  I absolutely hate telling customers that "pinging a cisco is
not a good indicator..." but like you say "there ain't no other way".  Just as
ping and traceroute are not good indicators of performance, saying that they
aren't good indicators is *not* acceptable to customers paying money for your
service.

 So just for the record, I'm not working for a provider and whining that it's
not our fault.  I want to find a good way to measure peformance on my network
and I'd love to be able to publish some results.  Guy Almes contacted me about
getting involved and that's just what I want to do.

-brett