Asymmetric Routing

Steven J. Richardson sjr at merit.edu
Mon Oct 23 19:13:40 UTC 1995

Sean:

  This is misleading at best...

  >From list-admin at merit.edu Fri Oct 20 15:19:42 1995
  >From: Sean Doran <smd at icp.net>
  >To: joliveto at cwi.net, nanog at merit.edu
  >Subject: Re: Asymmetric Routing
  >Date: 	Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:22:35 -0400
  >
  >| Analysis of some of our routes shows the potential for asymmetric
  >| routing...that is...the transmit path will be different than the return path
  >| for packets.
  >
  >Asymmetry has been a reality for quite some time now; in fact
  >it was happening during the NSFNET backbone service days,
  >since the information in the PRDB was often in a shambles.
  Not surprisingly, the PRDB was as good as the information
  which was submitted by customers of the NSFNET BNS, though
  there was a lot of checking done to try to proactively catch
  mistakes.  As someone who was working with/supporting the
  NSFNET configuration process, I do not know of other customers
  claiming that "the PRDB was often in a shambles" via phone, email,
  or third-party reports.

  >	Sean.

  Steve Richardson, Merit