Initial Route Server Stats for MAE-East

William B. Norton wbn at merit.edu
Mon Oct 23 15:59:24 UTC 1995

Once last set of comments.   Mike asks what is the measurement for?  When
BGP sessions break it is sometimes because of partial or complete packet
loss.  I think some goals here include:

1) we want to be able to correlate BGP session failures with packet loss,
and
2) we would like to understand how the NAP performance contributes to
routing stability.

It is interesting to note that some interesting correlations result as a
side effect.  Specifically, the strong correlation between packet loss
and gigaswitch utilization, and packet delay and gigaswitch utilization.
Not perfect correlation, but somewhat strong.

PS -
Dun & I did some further data analysis and calculated that 1% of the packet
loss can be attributed to the last of 5 packets (20%) transmitted having
a response time of greater than a second (which occurs 5%-10% of the time).
That is, the last packet response doesn't come back in the 1 second
timeout period and stats show this as a loss.  The first four packets can
have delays > 1 second, but the last can not.  We can attribute
approx. 1%-2% of the packet loss to this phenomenon.

Bill