Initial Route Server Stats for MAE-East

William B. Norton wbn at merit.edu
Mon Oct 23 13:48:42 UTC 1995

On Fri, 20 Oct 1995, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> Could you tell us a little more about your packet loss sampling?  Like
> how many ping packets are you using per collection point?

Sure.  The program "globalping" takes a list of hosts from the rover
hostfile at each RS which contains a list of discovered RS BGP Peers.
For each of these peers, the command

/usr/rovers/bin/ping -s <peeripaddr> 100 -c 5

is issued and the output parsed and stored in $HOME/delay/delaymatrix.YYMMDD.

For example, a sample of today's data at MAE-East in delaymatrix.951023:
Mon Oct 23 00:00:01 1995
192.41.177.166 68 1 1 1
192.41.177.6 83 6 7 5 4
192.41.177.140 2 1 1 1 130
192.41.177.145 4 1188 345 7 4
192.41.177.150 3 3 4 3 4
192.41.177.160 2 2 135 2 4
192.41.177.170 3 3 2 2 2
192.41.177.181 2 2 1 73 2
192.41.177.190 108 2 3 2 1
192.41.177.210 2 2 2 2 2
192.41.177.220 3 3 4 3 3
192.41.177.241 2 166 2 2 6
192.41.177.249 4 119 2 1 3
192.41.177.115 2 2 5 2 2
192.41.177.110 1 1 1 1 1
192.41.177.85 4 3 3 3 91
192.41.177.163 2 1 73 1 1
192.41.177.90 2 1 1 1 2
35.1.1.48 33 32 31 31 31
192.41.177.251 4 94 8 7 5
192.41.177.252 7 109 6 4
192.41.177.169 2 1 1 1 2
198.32.130.130 28 27 27 1044 204
198.32.130.131 28 26 35 1044 198
192.157.69.251 11 11 11 11 12
192.157.69.250 18 11 34 12 11
198.32.128.130 85 86 86
198.32.128.131 85 85 86 85 85
198.108.0.10 55 32 31 32 31
Mon Oct 23 00:15:01 1995
:
:
:

I believe for the graphs, Dun removes outliers.  We are using the stock
Sun ping:

rs1.mae-east.ra.net : /usr/users/wbn/delay > ls -l /usr/rovers/bin/ping
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root        16446 Oct  9 09:50 /usr/rovers/bin/ping*

If you are really interested I installed the globalping source code on
home.merit.edu:~ftp/pub/users/norton/globalping.tar, but it is really
nothing more than a forker and output parser.

Bill