What is SPAM? - was Re: Legislative Relief - was Re: Motion...

Justin Newton justin at rainbow.dgsys.com
Wed Oct 18 06:28:49 UTC 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Dave Siegel wrote:

> > > I don't think we really want any more laws that criminalize ill defined
> > > acts.
> >
> > Agreed.  Until the net community defines what is spam and other unacceptable
> > messaging, we have no foundation to build on.  Can anyone define concisely
> > what exactly is 'spam' ?  Or this this possible?
>
> It is a meat-like substance which is delivered in a tin can.  It can be quite
> good for breakfast with eggs if you can stand the grease content.
>
> ;-)  Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> spam:  Any posting which contains an advertisement of a product.
> posting:  Any peice of electronic material found either in a UseNet NewsGroup,
> 	  public mailing list (listserv), or a private mailing list.
>
> I really don't see what the big deal is in all this.
>
> --
> Dave Siegel			President, RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.
> (520)623-9663			Systems Consultant -- Unix, LANs, WANs, Cisco
> dsiegel at rtd.com			User Tracking & Acctg -- "Written by an ISP,
> http://www.rtd.com/						for an ISP."

Is every email you send then a spam since it contains an ad for UTA?  I
don't think it is, but it is according to your definitions.  IMHO, a bad
definition.  I am more favorable to the one that news.admin.* uses where
anything which is posted to over X number of groups is spam (or velveeta
if it follows a slightly different rule).  SPAM should not be content
based.  If I sent out a copy of the bible to every single user on the
internet (quite a feat to get the address list), I would consider that a
spam, and I need not be advertising any product.  Hell, if I sent
everyone on the internet the letter "a" it would probably crash a few
machines.  So, what's the definition?

Justin Newton		* You have to change just to stay caught up.
Vice President/		*
System Administrator	*
Digital Gateway Systems	*