Sprint violations (setting space aside for slow-start allocations)

Daniel Karrenberg Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net
Sun Oct 8 11:36:55 UTC 1995

  > Nick Williams <nmw at haven.ios.com> writes:
  >
  > There are probably a number of ways, but none hard enoughfor a determined
  > garage to get around. Charging for delegations should work better;

Just for the record: The RIPE NCC is charging for registration services
for quite some time now. We do not charge for addresses, but for the
service. The charges are annual subscritions per local registry dependent
on a self-determined size of the registry. For details see
ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/new-registry/billing.txt.

This has indeed worked to help aggregation as newly starting garages
tend to obtain address space from their provider rather than subscribe
to the RIPE NCC's registry services.

  > I will, but remember, if we're to agree on setting aside pools of space
  > for slow-start, then it should be done in a consistent manner, so that
  > filters can be written a bit more easily. This means setting aside, say,
  > 207/8 for slow-start pools, and then breaking up that /8 into smaller
  > blocks for slow-start allocation of each of the three or four sizes used
  > in slow-start (/21, /20, /19) and then delegating sub-blocks of those
  > sub-blocks to the various registries; if a /8 is too small for this,
  > then two or thre /8s should be set aside for it. Registries and
  > providers must agree to some extent on the above methinks.

193/8 minimum allocation is /19
194/8 minimum allocation is /19

Daniel