Initial Route Server Stats for MAE-East

Jonathan Heiliger loco at MFSDatanet.COM
Mon Oct 23 02:23:37 UTC 1995

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Jeff Young wrote:

> there aren't any easy answers.  perhaps we should all just
> implement "ping" servers in pops ( a 386 running
> linux or bsd might suffice).

So then perhaps since multiple (last I recall) hosts already exist on
MAE-East; we could use them for an experiment of sorts.  One could take
two hosts and setup a program akin to a loopback on each, operating on
TCP ports.

A standard data set could then be transmitted back and forth at certain
time intervals and compared.  The result could then in theory say that
there was such heavy load on the MAE, that packets were dropped -- even
with retransmission.  In any case, it would be more substantiative than
pinging Cisco's.

Correlating this info (it a 5minute increment was chosen, this would be
easier) we could correlate any detected lossage information with the
utilization statistics presently being generated.

Jonathan Heiliger        @~/ . . \[email protected]      MFS Global Network Services, Inc.
                           \__U__/           Direct: [408].975.2259
Email: loco at MFSDatanet.COM                      CSC: [800].637.7170
                                                NCC: [800].637.4872