Links on the blink - reprise

Marten Terpstra marten at BayNetworks.com
Tue Nov 21 15:42:09 UTC 1995

Sean writes:

 * Key to the decision is the gamble that the switching
 * ability of FR switches will compare with the switching
 * ability of high-end routers in the same environment.  This
 * is not a gamble I am comfortable with, particularly as I
 * have very strong ideas of how well an SSE-equipped 7000
 * can switch packets in a backbone environment, and so far
 * have only early impressions about one variety of popular
 * FR switch in a similar environment.

Perhaps you have not looked at the right FR switch.
I know of at least one FR switch that will switch at
a higher rate than most currently used routers in a
backbone environment.

-Marten