Links on the blink - what will/should mci & sprint do?

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Mon Nov 20 19:33:26 UTC 1995

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.951118235535.11322D-100000 at tigger.jvnc.net>, Gordon C
ook writes:
> Sean writes:
>
> Thirdly, there are some very cunning
> ideas being proposed by various hardware people for making
> the 7500 do interesting things on the switching front that
> very probably will get the router to deal with the kinds of
> loads you're asking about.
>
> COOK:  does this mean that there is some way to get the cisco to behave
> like the cascade switch I asked about??  If not what in general does it mean?
>
> Finally you said if the 7500 doesn't perform well then you might have to
> do the redesign I asked about.... meaning going to an atm switched
> backbone with routers at the periphery of the backbone??

> Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
> The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
> 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
> (609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
> Internet: cook at cookreport.com              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/

We are bound by non-disclosure to limit what we say about future
products of the vendors we have chosen for final evaluation.  I don't
think it is any big secret that vendors do have new products in the
works.  IMO- the so called "wall" is not a problem but you need some
heftier routers than what is commonly used today.

I don't like the idea of going into a layer 2 and letting layer 2 deal
with it.  You can probably build a working network either way.
Equipment cost per port is not our highest priority, it is secondary.
Stability and low loss in our backbone is a very high priority.  That
says a lot about why the technology we ar looking at is different than
PSI, Alternet, and Netcom (and maybe a bit different than Sprint too).
ANS charges more for a reason.

Curtis