Links on the blink - reprise

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Nov 19 02:33:57 UTC 1995

On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Alan Hannan wrote:

> ] Yes, that is true but most ISP's in my area are overselling 100 X or
> ] more. Sure I mux 4 T1 FR to 1 T1 port and oversell my bandwidth, but all
> ] of my links have at least 20% free on them during our peek.
>
>   What is your sample interval?  Cisco's 5 minute average?
>
>   80% utilization at 5 minute samples means it is very likely the
>   lines are choked a good portion of that time.

No, 1 min averages, the liks is normally under 40% used. If it get a lot
of 80% 1 min averages we will upgrade the link.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest