Links on the blink - reprise

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Nov 19 00:19:58 UTC 1995

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Ehud Gavron wrote:

> >When you buy a T1 private line, you can be assured that you're not
> >sharing it with 120 other end-users.  :-)
>
> 	A T-1 private line to what?  Do you think Sprint has sold
> 	more than 30 T-1s, filling up their DS-3 backbone?
>
> 	Do you think MCI has sold more than 30 T-1s, filling up
> 	their DS-3 backbone?
>
> 	You _are_ sharing bandwidth, unless 100% of your traffic
> 	is to your provider.

Yes, that is true but most ISP's in my area are overselling 100 X or
more. Sure I mux 4 T1 FR to 1 T1 port and oversell my bandwidth, but all
of my links have at least 20% free on them during our peek.

Sure oversell, but I think it is wrong to keep overselling when your
links are at 90% - 100% most of the time and you sell more t1's to get
the money.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest