Links on the blink - reprise

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Sat Nov 18 02:29:57 UTC 1995

In message <199511180045.RAA12135 at seagull.rtd.com>, Dave Siegel writes:

> Nor can you know that with a Dedicated line, that the other side doesn't feed
> into a 2501 into a collision-ridden Boca 10baseT hub, into a Welfleet bridgin
> over Frame-Relay-over-ATM at 1.5Mbps simplex speeds into an over-committed
> 4Mbps port speed on the other side.
>
> i.e., the fact that your buying a leased line to connect and running HDLC
> over it doesn't count for anything.  When it comes right down to it, customer
> can't really be reassured of anything.

What are you talking about.  You can go back and tell your provider
that you are losing one packet per 10^-5 and expect them to actually
do something to fix it with a leased line.  You can't do that with FR
unless your PVC CIR is wire speed or you traffic shape to your CIR.

Who do you buy leased lines from?  Nobody we buy from.  If you are
talking about a tiny provider buying a T1 from a larger IP provider,
you might want to find another provider if that is your impression.  I
think the discussion was building a backbone though.

Curtis