Links on the blink - reprise

Simon Poole poole at eunet.ch
Fri Nov 17 23:19:16 UTC 1995

> In order to take advantage of the greater
> port-density(-per-dollar) on FR switches right now, the
> end user has to use FR, which is not always practical
> or desirable.

This is actually not true, at least one popular brand
of FR switch has a builtin PPP FRAD (I must say that
debugging the connections is still a medium nightmare).

I agree with most of the other points you make, you do
miss one other potential reason for using FR/ATM technology:
competing in the VPN market with the old players there
(Sprint et al).

Simon