Like dogs, returning to thier own

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Fri Nov 17 16:48:57 UTC 1995

In message <199511170553.AA05133 at zed.isi.edu>, bmanning at ISI.EDU writes:

> Here is round two...  Last Chance B&G.  It's off to the drafts
> directory in the early morn.  (~14:00 UTC)  TTFN..!!
> 	----------------------------------------------
>
> Network Working Group                                     net39-testgroup
> Request for Comments: 19xx                          bill manning - editor
> Category: Experimental                                      November 1995

You might want to mention that gated has no problems.  All modern BSD
and Sys5 based host implementations support subnetting, however some
host implementations can handle overlapping subnets and others cannot.
BSD4.4 based OS have no trouble with overlapping subnets.  All earlier
BSD implementations will eventually crash.  I think Jeff Honig changed
the radix tree to fix this and it got into BSD4.4 (maybe we should
confirm with Jeff).  I think AIX4 is fixed.  All Sys5.4 based
implementations are suspect.  [note: Solaris and Irix5.2 have been
seen to crash due to overlapping routes.  Leave out this note.]  This
has implications for the use of BSD or Sys5 based boxes as routers.

You can mention that the NSS routers had no trouble, in case someone
has any doubt about this or wants to buy an NSS (I've been told that
Advantis has received a few serious inquiries).  Although not
participating in the exp39 testing, Baynet routers pass testing in the
lab that would indicate they would have no problem with this.

Curtis