Routing wars pending?

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Nov 16 23:29:55 UTC 1995

> Absolutely agree  with both Robert and Vadim that DNS need to be revised
> in a big way.  I especially would like to see the MX record concept
> applied to information services (IX maybe), i.e. [...]

That's not a big revision.  "Big" revisions usually entail wire protocol
changes.  What you want is called a "SRV" record and it was submitted to
the RFC Editor for "extended last call" (befitting its experimental
status) about a week ago.  An earlier version can be had from any Internet
Drafts repository as draft-gulbrandsen-dns-rr-srvcs-01.txt.

> Has this simple concept been proposed in an IETF draft unknown to
> us ugly ducklings :-)
>
> Quack.
>
> Tim

Tim, next time I'd like you to do three things differently:

(1) do your homework before posting widely
(2) post to big-internet or nanog but not both
(3) only include one copy of your .signature

Paul