Routing wars pending?

Owen DeLong owen at DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Thu Nov 16 18:07:52 UTC 1995

> > Owen said:
> > >>
> > [...]
> > >
> > >The question boils down to who really does own the address space, and
> > >frankly, the fact that money changed hands causes me to lean more towads
> > >the person who paid.
> >
> >Well, but was the changing of money for a *purchase* or a *lease* ?  The coming
> >CIDRization seems to lend itself more toward leasing your IPs from your provider
> >than purchasing them... much like small companies rarely buy a suite in a larger
> >building, instead they lease... with IPs though, the length of term of the lease
> >would be something to the effect of 'while getting service from the same provider'.
> >
> >  --Zachary
> >

> Er... Remeber that this works for providers as well. They don't "own" the CIDR
> blocks they have either.  They have them on loan from the address registries.
>
> --
> --bill

The problem comes when the idea of lease vs. purchase was unclear at the
time money changed hands.  If the policy of lease is enforced at the time
of assignment, then all is well.  If the addressee (for lack of a better
term) received the address under a perceived buy which was later turned
into a lease without any notice until they attempted to move the space,
that is another issue.  It is much the same issue as my outrage at NSI
for retroactively modifying the terms of existing domain names.

Owen