Attempt to summarize Links on the Blink

Gordon Cook gcook at tigger.jvnc.net
Mon Nov 13 15:50:10 UTC 1995

I would like to try to understand better where this discussion seems to
have come to rest.  Yesterday the suggestion was made that the major
providers add more bandwidth to their backbones.  There seemed to be no
assertion as to how this could be done.

1.  OC-3 is not yet routable on backbones.  Is that correct?

2.  What is the routing impact of parrallel T-3s?  Or the creation of a
mesh of T-3s? I have the impression that this is not feasible because it
would expand the routing tables unacceptably or because of the questions
of how you would load balance among them??

3.  There seems to be some consensus that we will see an increase in the
numbers of NAP or MAE like interchange points which could cut down on the
traffic that must traverse long haul backbones.  *BUT* doesn't each
additional interchange point used by all the top level providers mean
another new set of global routes crowding router memories?

4.  How much help will regional NAPs like Tucson be?  Their goal is to
keep local traffic local and off long haul backbones.  What liklihood is
there that these will grow in numbers quickly enough to make a
difference?  If the majors start showing up at these points does their
arrival mean that the problem of crowding memory in their backbone
routers will be increased?

5.  How much new network usage is already "in the pipe"?  AT&T's
outsourcing via BBN - also @home turning CATV into serious net users for
example?  Does anyone have any idea of growth strains that must be met in
the next 6 to 9 months to avoid serious problems like the brick wall that
has been mentioned?

Certainly bandwidth problems have been cyclical and have been solved
before.  But someone (Paul Vixie?) suggested that we have a whole series
of interlinked problems where pushing on one part of the envelope causes
difficulties in another part of the envelope.

This sounds pretty serious.  Is it?

What are the fixes?  If technology what are they and how far away?  Is
the Ncube router what is needed?  Wht stands in the way of routing OC-3?
Routers?  Or ATM?  (Someone said that packets should be sent over raw
sonet.  What stands in the way of doing that?

I'd be very interested in further discussion of this in public or private.

Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
(609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
Internet: cook at cookreport.com              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/