Bell vs. Internet Providers (fwd)

Roger Fajman RAF at CU.NIH.GOV
Sat Nov 11 03:48:22 UTC 1995

> Short: off-peak usage of telco facilities is not costing the telco any
> real money, (this is especially true for LD companies!) as the capacity
> planning (and purchase) is governed by peak usage, any screams by them in
> that general direction should be ignored, their monopolistic actions
> fought with a vengeance: EdTel of Edmonton,Alberta started making noises
> as described no sooner than they were beginning to plan their own internet
> service. I hear they have a special tariff discount for fax lines (business
> or residential) too, or at least used to.
> Are they talking with two tounges ?
>
> bye,Kai

Bell Atlantic has recently been running an ad campaign here in the
Washington, DC, area offering a $30 discount on the installation of
second residential lines.  The ads suggest that they are great for
modem users and families with teenagers.  I don't think they would do
this if they didn't think they would make money on it.

However, at the same time they are trying to introduce a residential
ISDN tariff in Maryland that has all calls, both voice and data,
charged by the minute, even during off peak times.