Address clustering intuition

Craig A. Huegen c-huegen at quad.quadrunner.com
Thu Nov 9 19:22:50 UTC 1995

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Walter O. Haas wrote:

> Note that this results from the address being, not the property of the
> ISP or the end user, but rather of a geographic location.  In other words
> under my scheme if I picked up and moved a hundred miles I'd have to
> renumber, but if I just switched ISPs I wouldn't.

The problem is that once you assign a group of IP numbers to a geographic
region, and they're being used, then what happens with population shifts?

For instance, let's say one county in South Dakota gets maybe a /22
block, and Silicon Valley gets a /6 block.  What happens (hypothetically,
of course) if all of South Dakota all of the sudden begins growing as a
techology center?  After you're out of address space, you're out... =)

With IPng, assignment would be better possible, but right now, anything
close is just improbable.

/cah