Address clustering intuition

Alan Hannan alan at gi.net
Thu Nov 9 18:20:59 UTC 1995

.........  Walter O. Haas is rumored to have said:
]
] I've formed an intuition that, if all IP addresses were portable (ie.
] independent of ISP) and assigned on a strictly geographic basis, then
] there would *automatically* be clustering of addresses equivalent to
] that obtained from CIDRization as a result of marketplace forces and
] the practicalities of technology.

 While this would perhaps increase the 'possibility' of aggregation
 increase, it ignores the fact that networks are laid out w/ wires
 and planned logically wrt tariff issues and existing infrastructure
 and capacity.

 While it's a good idea, it's not terribly practically useful.  For
 example, we cover 11 states, so would I then need 11 CIDR blocks?
 Why not do things "right" and let me have 2 CIDR blocks to downlay
 from my 2 hubs.

 If customers want to change ISPs, that's not my/our concern, DHCP,
 bootp, manual renumbering are all available.

 -alan