Address clustering intuition

Walter O. Haas haas at xmission.com
Thu Nov 9 17:16:39 UTC 1995

This has probably been thought of before, or discussed on some other list,
and if so I apologize in advance.

I've formed an intuition that, if all IP addresses were portable (ie.
independent of ISP) and assigned on a strictly geographic basis, then
there would *automatically* be clustering of addresses equivalent to
that obtained from CIDRization as a result of marketplace forces and
the practicalities of technology.

Note that this results from the address being, not the property of the
ISP or the end user, but rather of a geographic location.  In other words
under my scheme if I picked up and moved a hundred miles I'd have to
renumber, but if I just switched ISPs I wouldn't.

-- Walt