links on the blink (fwd)

Dave Mills D.Mills at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 13:17:00 UTC 1995

Mike,

Well, when it comes to evidence, traceroute does a pretty good job of
identifying probable loss points. Perhaps I shouldn't reveal this tool,
since it may result in action to disable the necessary router features.
Meanwhile, I'm sure that HWB will confirm numerous instances where
causual NTP servers have detected subtle problems on the links between
them and that were undetected by any other means, including SNMP.
Therefore, I can detect with some degree of confidence that some j-random
provider is losing x percent of my packets between the y and z
demarcations of their network.

Dave