More on IPSPA.ORG

Gordon Cook gcook at tigger.jvnc.net
Sun Nov 5 18:36:16 UTC 1995

What are we to do when in the middle of $$$ goldrush we essentially have
the internet composed of groups that other than keeping it operating
share very little in the way of common motivations and goals?

With the CIX I have seen a recognition of a need to change and some new
directions floated.  Yet I have seen nothing to suggest that the
organizations policy has really reached outside that of ithe
organizations of its board members.  Last time I looked at the CIX web
they touted about 200 members....all in a nice single list with no
distinction of how many had paid the $7,500 price of membership as
opposed to the new and minimal $1,000.

I believe that internet business model issues will be critical next
year.  Starting with quality of service issues that hans Werner has
written about here and going on to issue of traffic or route based
settlements, and fall out from CIDR routing issues, there are straws in
the wind that could make 1996 a year of crunch by the largest two dozen
ISPs against the rest.

I perceive Tim's call as being directed at the rest..... most of which
are too busy trying to figure out how to cost effectively serve new
customers than to organize.  I hear rumblings about a new world
federation of internet groups.  Sounds good to me.  Cause with the RBOCs
and Cable banging at the door, ISOC fumbling just as badly as the CIX,
people suggesting that the IETF needs to incorporate but no one there
finding time to do it, I sure do wonder who and/or what will ever manage
to preserve and protect the internet vision?

Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
(609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
Internet: cook at cookreport.com              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/