links on the blink (fwd)

Gordon Cook gcook at tigger.jvnc.net
Sat Nov 4 17:05:22 UTC 1995

Hans Werner - presumably frustrated about the quality of his internet
service writes:

	Are you guys up to it, or would you need regulation do it for
	you? Y'know, life can be easier if your parents tell you what
	to do, if you cannot get your act together yourself. Less stress, too.
	Less flexibility as well, perhaps, but methinks we have to choose some
	optimization function here, and buy off on the cost.

	In the end, this is not a sandbox for having a good time.
	People today *depend* on their network connection, and that it works
	is important to them. You *have* to go beyond just thinking locally.

Very relevant questions.  Let me try to nudge the discussion into a
slightly different direction.  When people started talking to me earlier
in the summer about internet business models, these issues were the
number one argument.

The chain of reasoning went something like:  you can't have a mature
internet business until you have guaranteed quality of service metrics.
You can't have guaranteed quality of service metrics until you have
settlements.  It seems to me that Hans Werner's complaint above fits
squarely into this mold of thought.  If I am wrong I am sure he'll tell me.

Could we talk a bit about where these conclusions may lead us?

Settlements, as I understand them, might be traffic based or route
based.  If I use more of someone else's resources than he uses of mine, I
owe him a payment.  Perhaps the payment might be for gigabytes delivered
or routes advertised.  The payment process then would cascade from the
largest down to the smallest providers as those lower in the food chain
extracted money from those beneath them to pay the demands of those above
them.

The outcome of such a process would be significant.  Traffic based
settlemnts would add substantial accounting costs to doing business.
Route charging I'd guess would add less.  Again however would not the
billing components of this play into the hands of the RBOCS and five
largest IXCs who have the mainframes and software systems to handle it
most easily?

But if the big boys started it, how far would it or could it go before
shattering the internet?  I predict on the basis of what regional ISPs
who have more dial up than leased line accounts tell me that they would
disconnect from the big boys rather than accept the strangle hold of
settlements.  The result - viola - a fractured, balkanized internet.

How are you going to guarantee the standards of service?  PUC
certification in each state?  Just what the RBOCs would love.  Everyone
has to open a 7 by 24 NOC or you can't be in the business?  Cisco 7000
routers become minimum gear?  I know.  Everyone has to meet standards set
by the CIX in order to play.  Seriously though - how are you going to do
it?  What will the rules be and how will they be made?

Lets assume that this were done in the most benign possible way.  The
only way smaller isps could stay in business would be to pass the
increased costs on to their customers.  And then your friendly South
dakota Internet service, would be like the nationals - $20 a month for 15
hours and $2 and hour for each additional hour.  Not to mention the fact
that the costs of entry would be catapulted so high as to exclude new
start ups lacking sufficient outside financing.  As Compu$erve remarked
in July, the cost model of $20 a month for unlimited service is a
suicidal one for this industry.  Yeah undoubtedly if you have the
overhead costs of an Hr Block or RBOC to satisfy.

Let me frame the question starkly.  To get the reliability that Hans
Werner wants to what extent must we consolidate the industry and raise
prices?  Killing in the process what makes the internet a magnet of
attraction for some millions of users?  **OR** is there any alternative
of letting a few build an inustrial strength network for those who demand
it, an allowing a less costly more fault tolerant network to survive?  If
so how might this be done?  Comments from policy makers for the big five
would be welcome.

Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
(609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
Internet: cook at cookreport.com              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/