Pointer to ATM performance work?

David Comay dsc at nwnet.net
Tue May 9 17:56:28 UTC 1995

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Richard Colella wrote:

> I seem to remember discussion at one of the meetings of some ATM
> performance work that looked at the benefits of discarding whole TCP
> packets when a cell was dropped.  Can someone give me a pointer to
> this?

i think you're referring to Partial Packet Discard and Early Packet
Discard.  this is discussed in `Dynamics of TCP Traffic over ATM Networks'
by Allyn Romanow and Sally Floyd which was published in SIGCOMM '94 in
august.  you can find this in <ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/tcp_atm>

you also might want to check out the work by Floyd and Van Jacobson on
Random Early Detection (RED) (volume 1, #4 of IEEE/ACM Transaction on
Networking, august '93) - this one is available in
<ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/early*>

dsc