loose source route

Chris Dorsey (510)422-4474 dorsey at nersc.gov
Thu Mar 30 16:00:45 UTC 1995

   I agree with Matt, if a network turns off LSRR, then
 I try to hand them the ticket.  However, it seems that
 lots of sites either yield no human response at all, or
 get back to you a few days later.  Not very helpful in the
 face of intermittent problems.  So you're the one holding
 the trouble ticket with no tools and no help.

   I've thought a little about this over the past few
 months as more sites shut off LSRR, and it seems like
 a "ping" or "traceroute" server-client would really
 come in handy.  No human interaction needed, I just
 request a ping/trace from site A going from A to B.

   Has anyone explored this or is it a silly idea and
 I'm being dense.

/chris

Chris Dorsey
ESnet