Internic address allocation policy

yakov at watson.ibm.com yakov at watson.ibm.com
Tue Mar 21 16:54:53 UTC 1995

Ref:  Your note of Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:30:42 -0500

Jeff,

>One solution is for IPv6 to fulfill its promise of providing
>autoconfiguration (complete with secure, dynamic, DNS updating).
>One of my fears is that autoconfiguration will not be a primary
>(because most users won't need its capabilities, at least initially)
>so will not be fully specified and implemented until it is too late.

I fully agree that host autoconfiguration seems like a reasonable
technical solution to the problem of changing providers. The importance
of providing autoconfig for IPv6 *on day one* must be stressed over
and over again. You, as a member of the IESG, could certain help
with this.

Yakov.